Thursday, November 29, 2012

.REVIEW: Shadowfell by Juliet Marillier










Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1)
Shadowfell                 
by
416 pages
Published: September 11th 2012 by Knopf Books for Young Readers
Series :  Shadowfell #1

Genre: Young Adult Fantasy /Magic/
Romance/Adventure
Received Arc Copy from Pub






Sixteen-year-old Neryn is alone in the land of Alban, where the oppressive king has ordered anyone with magical strengths captured and brought before him. Eager to hide her own canny skill—a uniquely powerful ability to communicate with the fairy-like Good Folk—Neryn sets out for the legendary Shadowfell, a home and training ground for a secret rebel group determined to overthrow the evil King Keldec.

During her dangerous journey, she receives aid from the Good Folk, who tell her she must pass a series of tests in order to recognize her full potential. She also finds help from a handsome young man, Flint, who rescues her from certain death—but whose motives in doing so remain unclear. Neryn struggles to trust her only allies. They both hint that she alone may be the key to Alban’s release from Keldec’s rule.

Homeless, unsure of who to trust, and trapped in an empire determined to crush her, Neryn must make it to Shadowfell not only to save herself, but to save Alban.
 
 
 








 
 
 
An adventurous fantasy book, that was highly enjoyable. Shadowfell
was one of those books that whisked you away and had
you routing for the heroine.
 
 






Shadowfell, for me was a fantastic fantasy read. I enjoyed all aspects of the book, even when the plot seemed to trudge along -slower than I expected, this book still held my interest and has me dying for the next book in the series.

Our adventure begins with our main character, Neryn, sixteen and traveling with the only surviving member of her family, her father. Protective of her at first, he slowly is on a downward spiral, and loses control, through his addiction with the drink.

After an awful circumstance leaves Neryn alone a mysterious hero comes and basically swoops Neryn away from the danger. Unconvincing of this hero's agenda, Neryn is always on guard, and even though, this hero named Flint seems to have her best interest at heart, Neryn  is determined to adventure her journey alone. A journey that will take her across a vast land of uncertainty, and emotion. She will face many obstacles along the way, but she is skillful, smart, and has an ability, that will help her face all sorts of creatures, good and bad.

Flint, is a character, that will have you convinced he has Neryn's best interest at heart, but he just may have an underling agenda that will have you convinced he is deceiving her. Reading the parts with Flint, had me falling for him, but I also was convinced that he too, may be after her for her ability, in a evil way. He will come to her rescue, and like breadcrumbs on the journey by the end of the book we learn full well, what his intentions truly are. I enjoyed Fint's character, and found him to be a wonderfully written character.  


Miss Marillier has a way of capturing, and holding your attention, through her words. I was actually captivated and read this book rather quickly. Some parts had me at a little less attention, but I never was bored with the plot or the characters. The story held my interest, and I enjoyed "walking" along the journey that are heroine sets off on. I felt like I was walking along with Neryn, throughout the journey and I found myself routing for her, and carrying her emotional baggage, telling her in my mind which steps she should take, or whom she should trust.
Imaginative, and lovely!


5/5 lovely roses





“It seemed to me it would be better to die standing up to a tyrant than to survive as a tool of his will.”  



" I did not complete the gesture. For there, in a crevice between the rocks at my feet, I saw a tiny plant growing. Three fronded shoots of soft green cradled a single flower no bigger than my thumbnail, a five-petaled bloom, white as first snow, fragile and perfect. So unlikely a survivor. So delicate, to stand against the scourging wind, the biting cold, the drenching rain. It was a place of death and sorrow. Apart from me..."



 

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I found the middle too slow, especially after such a great start and then followed by a pretty great ending. I will continue with the series thought, Flint is too much to pass up!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 stars, awesome. I'm glad to see this. I have this one and haven't actually felt like picking it up, but your review makes me want to. And I want to meet this Flint and find out his intentions. Awesome review Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not much of a fantasy reader, but Shadowfell sounds like such a great story! It seems you formed a strong connection to these characters & their journey. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely going on my TBR. I really want to read this soon :) The plot sounds interesting, amazing review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh this sounds good! I saw the cover lots but I haven't seen very many reviews on it so it wasn't really on my radar. I'm also not huge on fantasy but I do enjoy certain ones--I usually shy away from the more political ones like Grave Mercy. But this one sounds very creative with compelling characters and great writing. Glad you enjoyed it so much, chickie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME review girlie!!! My first thought after the summary was, "where are her parents?" and you totally read my mind and answered that one right away!!! This book was NOT even close to my TBR but since you've raved - I'm adding it to my Christmas wish list!!!

    YOU ROCK!!!

    ReplyDelete