Wednesday, November 7, 2012

.Review: Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi






Destroy Me (Shatter Me, #1.5)Destroy Me (Shatter Me #1.5)

by

ebook, 111 pages
Published: October 2nd 2012 by Harper
ISBN:
0062208195 (ISBN13: 9780062208194)
Amazon Purchase










Perfect for the fans of Shatter Me who are desperately awaiting the release of Unravel Me, this novella-length digital original will bridge the gap between these two novels from the perspective of the villain we all love to hate, Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.

In Tahereh Mafi’s Shatter Me, Juliette escaped from The Reestablishment by seducing Warner—and then putting a bullet in his shoulder. But as she’ll learn in Destroy Me, Warner is not that easy to get rid of. . .

Back at the base and recovering from his near-fatal wound, Warner must do everything in his power to keep his soldiers in check and suppress any mention of a rebellion in the sector. Still as obsessed with Juliette as ever, his first priority is to find her, bring her back, and dispose of Adam and Kenji, the two traitors who helped her escape. But when Warner’s father, The Supreme Commander of The Reestablishment, arrives to correct his son’s mistakes, it’s clear that he has much different plans for Juliette. Plans Warner simply cannot allow.

Set after Shatter Me and before its forthcoming sequel, Unravel Me, Destroy Me is a novella told from the perspective of Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.



The Original hardcover of Shatter Me w/the girl on the cover, and the new look to the series.

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)  Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) Destroy Me (Shatter Me, #1.5) Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)





Brilliant!
Ok, so maybe that is extreme, but let me explain why!

First of all this novella @ 111 pages is told in Warner, the "bad guy" in the first books main pov. It is well written, and offers an insight as to what is really going on inside Warner's head, and boy was it good!



Whoa! Was I surprised how much I enjoyed this book, why, you ask? Because, not only does Mafi take an unlikable character and transform him into somebody that you will swoon over, but you will see a vulnerable side to him. You'll understand and get a slight insight as to why he makes the choices he did, and does, in Shatter Me as well as this book.

We see a softer side to Warner and I enjoyed every sentence in this book.
I also enjoyed reading more from Juliette's notebook and the words that poured out of it, into Warner's mind, as he read her journal and felt every emotion that she was feeling while being locked up in the insane asylum, I think that's what it was supposed to be. Anyway, the feelings and emotions that were written in Juliette's notebook were powerful, to both Warner and myself. I'm sharing some of them below, plus a snippet from Warner's pov.



From Juliette's notebook:
"My face is caked with blood from when they threw me on the ground, and my hands are still shaking even as I write this. This pen is my only outlet, my only voice, because I have no one else to speak to, no mind but my own to drown in and all the lifeboats are taken and all the life preservers are broken and I don't know how to swim I can't swim I can't swim and it's getting so hard. It's like there are a million screams caught inside of my chest but I have to keep them all in because what's the point of screaming if you'll never be heard and no one will ever hear me in here. No one will ever hear me again".


"We followed the tale laid out for us, the prose pinned down in every square foot of space we'd acquired. We were content with the plot twists that only mildly redirected our lives. We signed on the dotted line for the things we didn't know we cared about. We ate the things we shouldn't, spent money when we couldn't, lost site of the Earth we had to inhabit and wasted, wasted, wasted everything. Food. Water. Resources."

Warner's pov:
"I'm trying to focus, telling myself these are just empty words, but I'm lying. Because somehow, just reading these words is too much: and the thought of her in pain is causing me an unbearable amount of agony. To know that she experienced this. She was thrown into this by her own parents, cast off and abused her entire life. Empathy is not an emotion I've ever known, but now it's drowning me, pulling me into her world I never knew I could enter. And though I've always believed she and I shared many things in common, I did not know how deeply I could feel it.
Its killing me."




5/5 Roses



Purchase
$2.99

5 comments:

  1. That's awesome that this one took a character you didn't necessarily like and turned him into someone vulnerable and showed you some reasoning for his actions. Novellas are so good in a series that you love because they really progress the character development. I haven't read Shatter Me yet, and I really need to get to it. I love the new covers. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, My!
    Everyone in the blogging world is talking about the Shatter Me series.
    It looks very original and lovely. And although I know, that Warner is supposed to be the bad guy. But from the quote, I feel like he is an "obsessed" good guy. I love the diary entries from Juliette's point of view.
    LOVED your review,
    Your constant reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehe..I so agree..I can not wait for Unravel Me!! Awesome review and this author is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when a bad guy turns into a swoony one. I'm such a sucker for the dark characters. The journal entries are gorgeous - they may tempt me to pick up the series. Maybe. I'm still worried about the writing style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually liked Warner in SM. I'm anxious to read this and learn more about him. Great review!

    ReplyDelete