Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Author Interview: Steve McHugh

So, today on my blog, I am interviewing, Author Steve McHugh writer of Crimes Against Magic. Let me just say I think this cover totally won me over and I will be reviewing this book soon.





Crimes Against Magic

Blurb - It’s been almost ten years since Nathan Garrett woke on a cold warehouse floor with nothing but a gun, a sword, and no idea of who he was or how he got there. His only clue … a piece of paper with his name on it. Since then, he’s discovered he’s a powerful sorcerer and has used his abilities to work as a thief for hire. But he’s never stopped hunting for his true identity, and those who erased his memory have never stopped hunting for him. When the barrier holding his past captive begins to crumble, Nathan swears to protect a young girl who is key to his enemy’s plans. But with his enemies closing in, and everyone he cares about becoming a target for their wrath, Nathan is forced to choose between the life he’s built for himself and the one buried deep inside him.

Crimes Against Magic is an Urban Fantasy set in modern day London with Historical flashbacks to early fifteenth century France. It’s the first in a series of books called the Hellequin Chronicles, which shows the life of sorcerer Nathan (Nate) Garrett.

Author Links:




Avaliable from :




Paperback and Smashwords copies to be released at a later date.


Interview:

 
1) Tell me a little about yourself?

I'm originally from a small village in South-Yorkshire called Mexbrough, but we moved to Southhampton when I was young and I've lived here most of my thirty-two years.

I'm married with two young daughters, and a third on the way, which probabaly makes me sound insane, but the lack of sleep just means I get to write more.
Well that's the theory anyway.

Apart from writing,  I'm a big reader, especially comics. I'm also a big fan of anime and videogames. So, yeah basically I'm a geek




2) How did you come up with the idea for this book?  

I’ve always loved mythology and history and magic, and wanted to do something that combined them. The character of Nate has been in my head for a long time, and the story sort of developed around him and the idea of what would happen if someone hated you so much that they’d do anything to get to you, but you couldn’t even remember them.


3) If your book is turned into a movie,
 (that would be awesome!) ;)
Who would you choose to play your characters?

That was a really hard question, because I hadn’t actually thought of anyone playing the characters before.

But after thinking for a while, I’d go with:

Holly (Nate’s partner in crime) – Natalie Dormer (from The Tudors and Game of Thrones)








A dark haired Jennifer Lawrence would be perfect for Dani. So long as she can do a British accent.






Nate is the hardest to decide, but maybe Michael Fassbender, he’s kind of kick-ass.







For the big bad guy, I wanted someone who could hold their own in a fight. Jeremy Renner would be pretty good, with Liev Schreiber as his henchman. 
 





















4) I see that your a comic book buff, so If you could be any character in a comic book, who would you be and why? 
Wow, another tough one. The geek in me wants to pick something obscure and weird, but I’m honest, probably Iron man. He’s just so cool, and being that smart and that rich and having a job where you get to fly around in a suit of armour, shooting bad-guys with lasers. That doesn’t sound like a very bad life.
 









5) What are you reading right now?

I’m reading, Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. So far I’m enjoying it. It’s a little slow to start, but I know it’s going to pick up.  I’ve just finished, Batman: The Black Mirror. Probably the creepiest comic I’ve read in years. Scott Snyder took horror elements and folded it into Batman. It turns out they make the perfect match.


6) 
What’s next on your list of things to write?

The sequel to Crimes Against Magic: Born of Hatred. And then the third book: With Silent Screams.






                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

2 comments:

  1. This is very interesting. I can see he put a lot of thought into the actors for his movie :) That is good. Once you can see it, envision it... it will come true. Congrats on the interview and to the author who has accomplished what many are trying to achieve.
    I am your newest follower. Please check my blog at http://puzzlemecomplete.blogspot.com/ and follow if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time for me to steal your blog for the day. :-) And thanks, Jillian, for your kind words. It was hard work trying to figure out who would play who. I'd never even entertained it before hand.

    ReplyDelete